xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml'> Marshallland: The Sting Of Death.

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Sting Of Death.


I have always been a dog lover. I love animals in general, but dogs have always been a favorite. I always wanted a dog. The first dog that I remember was a Siberian Husky that we called Itch. He didn't last very long, because he would constantly run away and the hassle wasn't worth the reward, so we ended up giving him away. Next we had Luke, a Labrador Retriever. Luke's memory, even though we didn't have him very long either, is special to me for a reason that I will not share at this time, but it is vivid in my mind always. Luke was a Christmas present that eventually ran away. We then had a little dog that we named Rocky, Rocky was a mixed breed that again we only had a short time, because someone took it from our yard. I think it was meant to be a joke, but wasn't very funny even though we hadn't gotten too attached. Then there was Cheerio...

Cheerio was delivered to our home on Easter Sunday of 1997. A wonderful surprise found in a basket as an addition to our family. Little Cheerio was a Cocker Spaniel. Cheerio began as our family dog, but then became my family's dog. All that knew Cheerio seemed to love her even if they weren't "dog people". Cheerio was very well trained, overwhelmingly loving and so eager to please. She also had a sense for the feelings of others. There were times that I would be down and only Cheerio was there to cheer me, or at least be a friend to listen to my complaint.

I will not go into all the things that I will remember about Cheerio, her playing the piano, her crazy hyperness that would surface when the word "walk" would be spoken or the insanely fast rolling over that she would perform in hopes of receiving a doggie treat. When Cheerio was really little, I took her to High School with me to my choir class. Everyone loved her. Especially Sonya. Sonya actually took Cheerio in to live with her while I was at BYU before we were engaged. Sonya formed a very close bond with Cheerio over the last nearly seven years.


Cheerio must have been the best looking dog that existed. She was very smart and loved books, chewing them up that is. Cheerio slept at my feet almost everyday over the last 13 years.

I will miss Cheerio immensely, hearing her little toe nails tap the floor as she walked around, her little bark that was reserved for times of need, her entire backside wagging instead of just her stub of a tail. I know that my son, sooner or later, will ask "Daddy where's Cheerio?" as he commonly does, and that will stir up some emotions, I am sure. My kids love little Cheerio and it pains me that they will not be able to have her be part of their lives.

In the Book Of Mormon there is a verse that reads; "But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." Often times this is very misunderstood. Christ overcame both physical and spiritual death and the sting that could have been of eternal loss and utter waste was swallow up. However, the sting and pain of death is less due to understanding the overcoming, but the pain and sting of loss and loneliness, even of a dog, can be the deepest sorrow imaginable. It is written that, "It is natural to feel sorrow at times of death. In fact, mourning is one of the deepest expressions of love. The Lord said, “Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die.”

Tears have been shed and will continue to flow at times by many who knew and loved my little girl, Cheerio. David O McKay has said that he couldn't imagine the Celestial Kingdom without his horse. I share this same sentiment for Cheerio.

3 comments:

The Five T's said...

So Sorry Loren and Sonya. We Love You!

April Lowe said...

I am so sorry about Cheerio! She was a great doggy.

Mom said...

I am so sad. I have so many great Cheerio memories. Cheerio will be missed. I have never known a nicer dog!